"Blog: The sound your thoughts make when they splatter onto the page."-Nate.



Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Green, Gold, Snow and Cold.

The air feels different here.  I’m not sure how to explain it.  I know it can probably be broken down scientifically to humidity and what knot, but to me it’s something that is more of a feeling than an equation of meteorology of some sort.  I snuck outside for a bit tonight to just sit and enjoy a really beautiful night.  The wind is blowing through the trees making all sorts of spooky noises, getting me excited for this weekend.  I’m definitely in a Halloweenie kind of mood.  It is surprisingly warm for late October.  With all of my cold weather climate expectations, I halfway thought there would be 2 feet of snow on the ground by now.  Certainly didn’t think I would be kicking back outside in short pajama bottoms and a T-shirt at 10pm.  

Watching the seasons actually change has been something I have really enjoyed this year.  I’ve been in Iowa for a full calendar year before, but now I think I am finally stopping to appreciate it.  Don’t get me wrong, I am definitely going to miss my 50 degree Texas Januarys, but to witness nature as it is intended to be is something really special.  I have watched the green slowly change to all sorts of reds, yellows, oranges, tans and browns.  The vast acres of tall kelly green corn and carpets of rich emerald green soy beans have all been harvested and the fields are left in shades of tans and browns as far as you can see.  The trees now have either lost their leaves or are hanging on to vibrant mixes of warm colors.  I’m sure after tonight’s gustiness, the majority of the trees clothing will be left on the ground for some poor kid to earn his allowance.  I’m mad at myself for putting off taking pictures around town…it has been so pretty for the last couple of weeks.  We still have flowers here and there and that makes me happy, I need those as long as I can to get me through till spring.  One good frost and they are history, which I’m sure is only days away.
The squirrels (that could eat Texas ones for lunch, they are hefty and huge) and the chipmunks are all very busy scurrying and burying for the long cold months ahead.   We have had all sorts of migratory birds hanging around in massive flocks.  There was some sort of beautiful white crane in the hundreds that called the treetops behind the house home for a while.  It was so strange to walk outside around 6pm and it sounding a lot like a tropical island.   Now it’s mostly small black birds swooping and diving in swarms.  Soon they will all be gone as well, leaving deer the only wildlife to really watch for. 
The approaching cold is something I am bracing for.  I think there is nothing more beautiful and picturesque than fresh fallen snow. The way it collects on bare tree branches and rooftops, outlining in clean lines of white is stunning.  One of my favorite things during winter is when a gentle snow begins to fall during the dark hours…everything is relatively still except the large flakes finding their individual paths to the ground.  If you stand really still and listen really hard, you can actually hear them resting on the surface of the Earth…it’s kind of a tinkling sound.  Along with the visual majesty, there is also all the fun things you can do when it’s not toooo cold that make snow worth experiencing.  Sledding and snowman building are my 2 of my favorites.  I cannot wait to take the boys out this winter to do all those things with them for the first time.  I was here for 2 winters before someone (my husband) took me out and showed me how a snowman was built.
 The cold however, after a few months wears on you.  The endless days of heavy skies battle with the surreal sunny days that fool the mind and spirit.  Those are the worst.  You just want to finally get outside…the sun is blinding bright, but when you step out, the snot freezes on your nose and your chin goes numb (which is a very strange feeling).  That’s when you run back inside and curse the 2 more months of below freezing temperatures.  
Everything however is a cycle and I’m sure I will take comfort in those long winter months that spring has to eventually show her face once again, and spring is absolutely breathtaking up here.  With the melting snow, budding trees, thunderstorms, and don’t forget all those amazing tulips…that’s when I will; once again take delight in the fact that the air feels different here.  If you have to struggle through something, you appreciate the change all that much more.  This is my way of having a positive twist on something that I am not all together looking forward to.  I’m sure that my friend homesickness will come knocking a little more while I am holed up with the boys listening to the wind howl and the temperatures drop.  I am determined to stay positive and not sink into a dark place. 
Everything is a cycle and everything is ever changing.  I will take comfort in that.

2 comments:

  1. it is reassuring to know that things aren't forever, especially when you are in place that isn't where you expected to be. I hope I can be a warm support system for you while you embrace the cold winter months of weather and the cold winter months in life. LOVE YOU

    Jessi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish we could be there to experience some of that with you. You know we are all only a phone call away and magic always happens when we get together; no matter the circumstance. Keep your chin up and remember the power of our relationship; hence, the ring incident.

    Love and Miss you
    R

    ReplyDelete