"Blog: The sound your thoughts make when they splatter onto the page."-Nate.



Monday, October 25, 2010

Beer in a Cup


So I have come to the conclusion I CANNOT drink beer in a cup…or shouldn't anyway, it's an automatic death sentence for the following day of my life. What's beer in a cup? Beer in a cup is more commonly known as keg beer.

 My husband and I decided to go out and celebrate his membership to the Dirty 30 club a little early. It was supposed to just be a couple games of pool and a pitcher of beer to split between us. The night quickly escalated to 3 pitchers plus a few glasses of beer in a cup that I scored from my first ever round of beer pong, which I am completely awesome at.  Our simple night out ended up being 4 hours of way too much beer in a cup.

After finally making it home and sleeping it off for a few hours, my husband asks how I am. I grab my head and reply, "It was the beer in a cup." Then I roll over wanting to just end it all. Approximately 12 hours later, I am finally human again, almost.

I have known for a while that I cannot handle keg beer. I have only acquired the taste for beer in the last 2 years, so I am still as new and experienced as most people were in high school. Until a wonderful trip to Mexico I thought it tasted like camel urine (and no, I don't ACTUALLY know what camel urine taste like, but I thought for sure it had to be close…why camel, I have no idea) and smelled worse. I choked down my first Corona in Cozumel and have slowly come to really like the stuff. However it wasn't till this last summer I had my first experience with beer in a cup. We went to ZacFest, a party thrown in my late brother-in-laws honor every May. The beer in a cup was plentiful and everyone was having a great time. It was our first weekend back in Iowa so not only was it a great time to remember a great guy (who LOVED beer in a cup), it was also a reunion for my husband and I and a bunch of great friends. The next day was the worst day of my life. Have you ever had food poisoning? That's what this was like…only worse. I still think there might be a slight chance it was food poisoning (I vaguely remember making a pulled pork sandwich before we left and who knows how long it sat out), but after my last experience with beer in a cup, I'm not so sure.

If you are thinking, why the hell would you drink beer in a cup again at the bar, good question.  I thought, "I can do a pitcher of beer…it's on tap, a lot of people prefer that right?  It MUST be better than in the bottle."  Wrong.  It's keg beer, AKA beer in a cup.  I didn't find this out until about halfway through the night.  I went up to order our 3rd and last pitcher, the keg ran out and they had to switch it.  When I saw them wheeling that large silver barrel to the back room, the realization slowly set in and I knew I was doomed.

So I now have a golden rule about the golden brew:

Unless I am the one pouring the beer from the bottle or can into a wonderfully frosted mug, I will, under no circumstances, ever drink beer in a cup again...even if it's free.

1 comment:

  1. OMG you finally have a post that made me laugh instead of cry; Oh wait I did cry but from LMAO. Jen really, did you think someone, at bar with millions of others wanting beer in a cup, think they stood there and poured bottles into a pitcher for your drinking pleasure? That's why I Love you! I mean I would do that for you, just sayin. Yeah bout the beer in a cup, always bad news and will give you a headache that will rival too much wine; maybe even worse. And when are any of us known, especially us, to stay within in our "Oh I'll just have one" limit?

    Bottoms up! Everything is good in moderation. What does that mean again?

    "I don't always drink beer, but when I do I prefer Dos Equis (XX). Stay thirsty my friend" - The Most Interesting Man in the World

    Do you even see those commercials in Iowa?

    When we went to Denver I asked for XX in a mug with hot sauce, lime, and salt; they looked at me like I was from another planet, and explained they did not have this XX I spoke of, and proceeded with "where are you from" I would tell them "From Texas and we know good beer". With that said, CO is the home of Blue Moon, brewed by Coors, and there was an obvious overwhelming and endless supply of that stuff. Before that trip it was my second favorite beer, but now I think I have had enough to fulfill my fancy for quite sometime.

    VIVA XX (in a cup/mug, w/ lime, salt, and Cholula (aka hot sauce))


    R

    R

    ReplyDelete